I know it’s been over a month since there has been any form of actual update on this blog, and even more critical “The fateful day” of the Apocalypse game has come and gone.

Quick update:

  • All my Gargantuan’s were built and painted [Pics to come]
  • All my models got base-sprayed, although it did take over 3 cans of spray. Seriously, tyranids is not an army for the faint-hearted to paint.
  • We won out game! [Pics to follow]
  • I pissed my wife of with all my modelling, that I’m not allowed to paint again until May.

I’ve got enough content to update with until May, so I’ll be putting that up, and I should also finish my update to the Damos guide for the Heirphant too.

 

Once again, sorry for the lack of updates. Next one will be on Wednesday, promise.

Advertisements

And…it’s finished!

It only took 2 weeks; 1 accident; 1 box of Milliput; and a whole lot of blood, sweat and tears; but it is finally finished.

I had K round last night for a painting session, and ended up doing the entire model in one go. I’m lucky that I got my train of thought interrupted by Damos last night to make me think to take a picture.

All the armour plates done

All the armour plates done

As you can see from previous posts, I’d based the entire model in Army Painter Skeleton Bone, and then painted up the armoured parts with GW Screamer Pink. The armour was rather….vivid, but I had a plan.

I next painted all of the flesh with GW Kantor Blue. I tried to use my airbrush for the first time to do this, but it was way too fiddly for a model with this many overlapping parts and crevices. However, the thinned paint I’d used for the airbrush went on far easier than the GW paint does normally.

Before washing

Before washing

At this point we reached something that looked like this –>

The next step was to paint all of the claws, teeth and spikey bits that were connected to the flesh tone, with GW Rakarth Flesh. It’s almost identical to the Skeleton Bone, but it has a slightly greyer tone, which is what I needed. It also adds a nice texture. (I should’ve photo’d it at this point, but by then it was just past midnight, and I was so close I just kept going.)

Now I washed the armour with GW Nuln Oil, only a light coat though to stop it pooling. Whilst that was drying I then washed the claws with GW Agrax Earthshade to give them a far more claw-like look. All of that dried and it seemed a bit… dark. So on a whim of fancy I drybrushed all of the blue flesh with some GW Lothern Blue and the model suddenly ‘popped’ and looked so much better.

Ready to munch marines!

Ready to munch marines!

Definitely looks intimidating

Definitely looks intimidating

I’m so happy with this, and with just under a month left before the game and 2 more big creatures to paint, and about 100+ gaunts, you’re going to see a lot more of this paint scheme on here 😛

Come at me Bro!

Come at me Bro!

My manly pink armour

...and this is why I wish I was allowed to use an airbrush indoors.

…and this is why I wish I was allowed to use an airbrush indoors.

I love my Nid paint scheme. I really do. It’s so simple and so effective.

All the armour plates done

All the armour plates done

I know it may not look it at the moment, but that manly pink armour I’ve painted on my Heirophant will pay off I assure you.

All credit goes to Chris(aka Sourbelly) for coming up with my Nid paint scheme all those years ago. Everytime I paint one of my Nids I’m reminded of when he first showed me how to paint up my models and how to apply simple effects.

I’ve always been a builder and not a painter, but I’m so glad I get such pleasure out of something this simple. It does also help clear my head of the days worries.

 

What do you guys do when painting? Does it relax you?

Just wondering…

Heirophant rising!

"It's getting back up!"

Yes it’s been 6 days since I last posted and you probably all thought I’d died, but this isn’t the case. I’ve been meaning to update the blog, but happily, building and painting have gotten in the way.

DVD Racks are multi-purpose

DVD Racks are multi-purpose

So the Heirophant managed to resurrect from the broken mess it’d been left in last. I had to use some rubber bands to hold the front legs on whilst I let the Milliput set, but it’s worked out well.

Back to where we were 3 days ago.

Back to where we were 3 days ago.

I then propped the thing up to set with the back legs, and took on one of my hardest challenges to date. Ignoring the model for 2 days to let everything dry.

It was worth it in the end as it all set in place and the model holds itself proudly under its own weight without collapsing the legs. Which does make it one up on the Forgeworld version.

I did some final measurements and the model does still rack in at 80% of the size of its Forgeworld counterpart, but I must say that it does still strike an imposing silhouette next to a normal 28mm figure.

"One quick yell of my manly Grey Knight voice shall shatter the beast again"

“One quick yell of my manly Grey Knight voice shall shatter the beast again”

++++ This was the last voxcoder entry by Grey Knight Heatwave ++++

++++ This was the last voxcoder entry by Grey Knight Heatwave ++++